Dear AAJA photographers, photo editors and photo students,
Another successful and fun national AAJA convention is over. Here are some photography highlights of the convention in Miami. Hopefully we will see you at Unity next year in Chicago.
- Almost $5,000 was raised in the Silent Photo Auction.
- National photo award winners were Therese Tran, of the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin and Kuni Takahashi of the Chicago Tribune won top honors for the annual contest.
- PhotoShootOut winners were Michelle Le, of SF State and Shaminder Dulai, of SJ State, who won over $1000 in photo prizes and the Dith Pran perpetual trophy.
- Five photo students were grilled nearly two hours in a lively discussion with top photo editors from around Florida.
- Photo parties at a Haitian restaurant, Cuban restaurant, Caribbean restaurant as well as a photo cruise around Miami.
- All-day multimedia workshop with San Jose Mercury News Dai Sugano, New York Times Andrew DeVigal, and Washington Post Ben de la Cruz.
- Michael Yamashita, of the National Geographic, showed his work on China.
- Overseas photography with AFP Stan Honda, freelance Laura Pohl, National Geographic Michael Yamashita and Chicago Tribune Kuni Takahashi.
- Student multimedia Voices project with student photographers Michelle Le, from SF State and Shaminder Dulai, from SJ State. Photo editors were freelancer Laura Pohl and Bernadette Tuazon, of AP.
You can find more info on AAJA photography: www.aajaphoto.org
If you have any ideas for Unity, please let us know. If you are planning to attend, please let us know too.
More info on Unity photography: www.unityphoto.org