AAJA is proud to announce the 2015 Dith Pran Instagram Photo Shootout Competition to take place at the AAJA National Convention in San Francisco August 12-15, 2015. The theme this year is “I Left My Heart in San Francisco.”
Top prize is convention registration for next year’s convention.
Instagram PhotoShootOut Rules:
- Submit photo entries using the Instagram hashtag #AAJAPhoto. Upload photo submission using any Instagram App.
- Deadline: Photo submissions must be uploaded on Instagram by 5 p.m. PST on Friday, August 14.
- Contestants can start shooting anytime beginning Tuesday, August 11.
- A professional grade camera is not required. Images submitted from mobile devices (cellphone or tablet) are strongly encouraged.
- Each entrant can submit up to three images. Judging will be based on a single image and not a series of images.
- Entries should be based on the theme “I Left My Heart In San Francisco,” song by singer Tony Bennett. Photos will be judged on theme interpretation, artistic style, composition & technicality. This year’s theme is a suggestion and photographs unrelated to the theme are acceptable.
- Entrants also need to email firstname.lastname@example.org with their entrant’s name, Instagram account name, cell phone number, email address and caption information of 100 words or less. Failure to email this information may disqualify an entry.
- You must be a current registered AAJA National Convention attendee.
- Only minor burning, dodging and slight color adjustment, sharpening and cropping are acceptable. NO INSTAGRAM FILTERS ALLOWED! Any significantly digitally modified or altered photograph will be disqualified. No special artistic app filers allowed. Exception only is the black and white filter.
- There is no cost to enter the competition.
All photographs entered will be considered for use during the AAJA Gala Banquet slide show. Winners will be posted on www.AAJAPhoto.org The First Place winner will have their name engraved on the Annual Dith Pran PhotoShootOut perpetual award. First, Second, and Third Place winners will be announced on Saturday, August 15, 2015 at the AAJA Gala Scholarship & Awards Banquet. There will be hundreds of dollars in prizes. First place prize includes the convention fee for next year’s convention, a $250 value.
For any questions, please contact AAJA photographers Susan Choi (917-334-4969) or James Yee (317-640-1873) or email questions to email@example.com
History: The AAJA PhotoShootOut was started in 2000 during the annual AAJA National Convention. The competition was changed in 2008 to honor New York Times photographer Dith Pran, who risked his life in Cambodia during the genocide by the Khmer Rouge to help journalists tell the story of atrocities in his home country. His story inspired the film, “The Killing Fields.” Pran passed away in 2008.